Road Trip April 2015

Monday, April 20, 2015

Day 1 away from Sydney.

Left the house to Michelle hoping things will be the same when we return. Doubt that, but one can only hope. Just hope she remembers everything we told her. Dropped into Mums on the way out. Dad was out shopping, but didn’t hang around for him to return. Told mum we’d see them after we returned about 7-10 days’ time.


Rain, rain and more rain. That’s what we left in from Sydney. Got to the Caltex service centre past Ourimbah and had an early lunch at 11.30am, then travelled on to Taree. The weather cleared remarkably after Heatherbrae and only got light rain now and then into Taree. It looked like they hadn’t had any heavy falls recently.


Arrived at Harrington at about 2.30pm, we had a cup of tea and settled down. Went to the Harrington Pub for dinner to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We had a seafood platter for 2 between the 3 of us. We also had garlic bread and dessert at the end. It was cheesecake, one white chocolate & strawberry and two cherry ones. It was quiet down at the pub, but that was to be expected as it was a Monday night and not school holidays. Played a couple of games on the computer before heading to bed.


Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 2 away from Sydney.

Early start to the day. At least it wasn’t raining or overcast. It was a nice clear sunny day. All the awful rain was down south at home. Spent a nice relaxing day not doing too much. Late afternoon the clouds moved in. At 5pm the awaited thunder started. Had Chinese for dinner. Haven’t eaten so much over the last two days for some time. Early to bed as we start the real trip tomorrow.


Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 3 1st day of travelling.

Early start as we had to go to Port Macquarie to the cemetery to put some new flowers on the graves there which are Pete’s Dad and grandparents graves and then travelled onto Kempsey. Went to the information centre which also had the historical society for the family history research on the Mazarakis family. Left it with them as they could find anything straight away and it would have taken too long anyway. They said they would contact me if they had any luck finding anything on them, hopefully they will. It wasn’t looking too good as they couldn’t find anything on the 1903 census they weren’t listed on that.

Went onto Crescent Head from Kempsey and got some photos from there of the headland and surrounding area. The view was great, clear sky north, south and east out to sea. Travelled onto South West Rocks and had lunch there at a little café called the Malt & Honey café. Wasn’t too impressed as it took way too long for the food to come out. Not doing that again as it made the day longer than it should have been. Visited the outside of Trail Bay goal as it was too expensive to go in and see only ruins. Got some photos of some kangaroos outside though.

Went onto Nambucca Heads, not much there so we kept travelling on. Traffic was horrendous as we had to go through Coffs Harbour no way to avoid it. It didn’t help as it was late in the afternoon when everyone was heading home from work. We were hoping to get to Grafton for the first night but knew that was going to happen so we started to look for somewhere and ended up at Woolgoolga for the night. The Rosebourne Gardens motel was quite nice. Had chicken and chips with gravy for dinner, didn’t feel like too much as we were still stuffed from the massive dinners in Harrington and the long day travelling.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day 4 2nd day of travelling.

Left Woolgoolga by 8am and travelled through Grafton. Didn’t stop till we got to Yamba. Very nice place and plan to return again to spend a night or two there. Iluka wasn’t much, but you could get Flathead & chips for $8, 2kgs of Mullet fillets for $16, normal fish & chips for $5 and a dozen oysters for $10 at their co-op.

Moved onto Byron Bay but before we got there we stopped at the Macadamia Castle for lunch as it was on the highway on the way. Also picked up some Macadamia goodies for mum and dad and Michelle. Bryon Bay isn’t much to write home about. Too crowded and we couldn’t get any parking so we could stop and look around. Finally found parking up at the lighthouse. Got some nice photos there but didn’t stay long way too busy there as well. The photo I got of some dolphins there with their backs just breaking the water it wasn’t the best and you could hardly see them. Headed back down the coast to Ballina for the night. Made a stop at a lookout and got some photos looking back up towards Byron Bay.

The room we had at Ballina where we stayed wasn’t the best. Out of all the places we stayed this one we didn’t like at all. Looked around the place but not much either.

Friday, April 24, 2015

24/4/15 Day 5 3rd day of travelling.

Early start again. Wasn’t able to stop at Madura Tea Gardens as it was way too early for them to be open. Maybe when we go that way again we might stop. Continued on bypassing Tweed Heads instead of going in having made the decision to continue the long trip up to Noosa. Went through Brisbane, hadn’t planned to, but wasn’t going to go the tollways just to avoid it. The traffic wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be, well not as bad as we normally have to put up with in Sydney. They have more lanes on their freeways than we do so that makes it easier. Got some photos as we went though. Just past Brisbane we copped a stone to the windscreen leaving a chip out of it. Luckily it didn’t shatter it. Have to replace it after we get home.

Went to Redcliffe and had morning tea there. Saw Bee Gees Way, I couldn’t miss that. Was told it would be closing in May for renovations to it and that Barry will be here to oversee it. They are going to put a cover over the walkway. Pete wasn’t happy when he found out about the Bee Gees because I didn’t tell. If I had I might never have gotten to see it. Took some photos of Redcliffe as well while there.

Moved onto Mooloolaba and then Maroochydore. Both were too busy and more tourist oriented than we liked so we continued the trip further up the coast. We had a late lunch in Noosa. Looked around the shops a bit before going to the villa as it was still early. The villa Le Courts was where we stayed for 2 nights not the normal 1 night like we had been doing. It was more because of Anzac Day and was too certain about getting accommodation so we stayed. Pete wanted to anyway for the fishing. The villa was more than we thought it would be. It was a perfect place to stay. Pete says he would be happy to live in a place even if the bedrooms are up stairs. This is the best place we’ve stayed at so far on this trip. Picked up some meals for the 2 nights we’re staying in Noosa.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

25/5/15 Day 6 4th day travelling.

Anzac Day 2015. Exactly 100yrs since Gallipoli landing. Woken up as people parked and walked down to the dawn service they had in the park. Two hours later they returned to head off. Otherwise it was fairly quiet. Did some labelling of the photos I took off my phone and the camera. We have at least 620 so far and more to come.

Went off the Tackle World Noosa which was open and then headed down to Noosa Woods to do some fishing. Peter was having trouble tying his knots, but he got them. Spent 1½ -2 hours down at the water front. Found a nice place to sit and watch the people and boats go by. Pete fished, but got nothing. Went for a drive around and brought a few things. Plenty of people around for Anzac Day. Some shops were closed, but a lot were definitely opened by the afternoon. Spent a quiet afternoon back at the villa.